September 18, 2014

My Favorite Things about College

The University of Not Hogwarts is so amazing. I love it here so much! I feel so at home, even though I've only been here a month. As I walk to class, I always have a sense of peace envelope me (unless I'm running late to class and have to sprint to get there on time. Those walks aren't so peaceful). I know that this is the place I'm supposed to be at right now. I know that God has a plan and a purpose for me being here at the University of Not Hogwarts. and I am so blessed to have the opportunity to attend this amazing school. I love the people, I love the campus. I love most everything!
So here are a few of my favorite things at the University of Not Hogwarts, in no particular order.

A Few of my Favorite Things about College:

Number One: The grass. The grass here is so soft and dewy and so, so, refreshing. I mean, I would hope it would be, considering the number of times I see the sprinklers on, misting the grass, as well as sometimes the sidewalks. The University of Not Hogwarts must really, really, like their grass to be green, and that's completely alright with me. On the days that I'm running late to class, I always cut across the grass and the squishy-ness of it just makes me want to lay down and roll across the lawn. I wish there were bigger hills here on campus so I could roll down them. That would be like swimming in a sea of feathers. *Sigh.*



Number Two: There are so many opportunities to learn about God here. There's chapel and Baptist Student Ministry Bible studies and required Bible classes. I also love how there is such an emphasis on finding a church home here. During the first week of school, we heard so many speakers who addressed the importance of finding a church home to become involved with. They gave us tips on visiting and encouraged us to set a deadline for ourselves, such as the end of September, to avoid the temptation of continuous "church hopping" and never becoming truly involved. The BSM bible studies have been very impactful thus far. I am involved with a few and have already learned a great deal from them. My new church also has a college Bible study that meets on campus, and I'm planning on being a part of that as well.



Number Three: The swings. The trees. The gazebos. The bells. The random structures whose meaning I haven't discovered yet. The pond. Campus is so pretty! I love walking to class and seeing all of the sights of the University of Not Hogwarts. I recently discovered that there is a swing just behind my dorm. I spent an hour talking on the phone last week while I swung and swung. The pond is gorgeous too. There's a walking trail that surrounds the pond and, apparently, it's where all the couples hang out because they think it's romantic. I suppose it is. There is a big gazebo by the pond where one can sit and gaze at the pond. My friends and I had a picnic breakfast there a while back, which was very fun. This gazebo is supposedly a big proposal spot, where all the girls get their "ring by spring." (I guess they go for a romantic walk around the pond to the gazebo where they become engaged. Okay.) I think all of that is funny. If I was going to be proposed to by this pond, I wouldn't want it in the gazebo, nor on the walking trail. I would want it in the tree. There's this really cool tree that's right next to the pond, and it is huge. It is kind of growing on its side, and its so fun to play in. When I was little and visited the University of Not Hogwarts, I would always climb this tree and pretend I was a monkey. It is one of my favorite trees on campus. (There are a few others that I would like to climb, but I don't know how to get up there without a ladder, and I think that I probably would get in trouble...)






Number Four: The people here. The student body as a whole is phenomenal. People consistently hold doors open for people. People are friendly as you wait in line for fifteen minutes in the Dining Hall for a hamburger. People are genuinely nice and polite here. It's awesome. Of course there are those people whom I see from a distance and avoid because they seem sketchy, but those people are the exception, not the rule. I am so blessed to have made so many amazing friends in the short month that I've been here. And we do everything together, literally. We have classes together, we eat together, we walk to classes together, as several of us live in the same buildings. Its fantastic. I am so thankful for each of them, and cannot wait to get to know them better as the year progresses.



So that's about it for now. There's more things that I love that I don't have time to mention. But anywho, as I said earlier, I am so thankful that I have the opportunity to learn and grow here. The University of Not Hogwarts is a great school and God is truly working in the lives of the people who encounter this place.

Blessings,
Belle



No comments:

Post a Comment